From the Forum Archives
The History of Middle School Education in England
The first complete middle school systems serving the whole of a local authority area opened in Stoke on Trent and Southampton in 1970.
The First 40 Years of Middle Schools - A Sourcebook - 2010 - download
- A collection of key sources, together with an account of the history and development of middle school systems, together with a timeline and bibliography.
Key Papers from the Forum Archives
The ‘Inter LEA Forum’, as the National Middle Schools' Forum was then called, held its first national conference in 1991. Local authority officers and Headteachers met to consider the theme ‘Working Together for Excellence’. As well as considering the advent of LMS and the National Curriculum, members also discussed the Audit Commission report of 1991 Rationalising Primary School Provision which first recommended the reorganisation of middle school systems to reduce surplus places.
Founding conference 1991 - Inter LEA Forum - download
- Some of the papers from the very first NMSF conference at Stoke Rochford Hall
A brief history of middle school movement - 1990 - download
- A brief outline of the development of middle schools in the UK written by Martin Thomas
Introduction to Middle School Directory - Chris Tipple - download
-The NMSF was instrumental in the publication of the Middle School Directory.
Extended 11 to 13 high schools in Bradford in 1966- download
- local press articel Bradford 16th November 1966
Middle Schools - Leader Article from the TES - download
- TES Leader 1966
Middle Schools Conference - University of Exeter Report no 14 1968 - download
- A conference held in 1968 to plan the first middle schools in Dorset
The report fromThe Joint Four Conference - 1969 - download
- Papers from the conference of the four secondary teaching unions in 1969
The Middle School Article R A Sharpe - download
- An article from the late 1960's discussing the age of transfer for new middle schools
Death of the middle way and make over mania - download
- article from TES about Northampton 2002
What makes middle schools and middle schooling distinctive - 2004 - download
- An article reflecting on the experience of Australian middle schools